Sat, Aug 11|
Oakland University Recreation Center
Take Root's Annual PD Expo
A wellness day dedicated to those living with Parkinson's Disease!
Time & Location
Aug 11, 2018, 9:15 AM – 2:30 PM
Oakland University Recreation Center, 569 Pioneer Drive, Rochester, MI 48309, USA
About the event
Participate in wellness classes hosted by professionals from Take Root's Dance for Parkinson's Disease program, McEntire Pilates, Stuart Blatt, PH.D, PT and more! Each session is designed with the participants in mind. The day will be concluded with a talent show and raffle drawing!
Schedule for the day:
9:15am- 10am: Check-In
10am- 10:50am: Session 1
11am - 11:50am: Session 2
11:50am - 12:30pm: Lunch
12:40pm - 1:30pm: Session 3
1:40pm - 2:30pm: Talent Show and Raffle Announcements
What's included in the $20 registration fee:
• All class sessions
• A T-shirt (if you register by July 21st)
• Two raffle tickets
About the class sessions that will be offered:
- Dance for Parkinson's Disease : In a class taught by Ali Woerner, participants will be empowered to explore movement and music in ways that are refreshing, enjoyable, stimulating and creative. This class is an aesthetic experience that uses the elements of narrative, imagery, and community to develop artistry and grace while addressing such PD specific concerns as balance, flexibility, coordination, isolation and depression.
- Mindy Eisenberg: Learn how yoga can be adapted for any body. This class will explore the joy of yoga for those with a range of abilities and neuromuscular conditions such as PD. With creativity and an open mind and heart, be amazed with what you can do on the yoga mat. Cultivate a sense of playfulness and empowerment to feel alive and thrive in the body. From the Yoga Moves toolbox, we will practice poses with a chair and on the yoga mat. A range of postures become accessible with the use of props such as chairs, blocks, blankets, straps, and the wall. A generous restorative posture will conclude our session.
- Carol Schram: Rock Steady is a non-contact, boxing-inspired fitness routine that attacks Parkinson’s disease at its vulnerable neurological points. Workouts focus on overall fitness and include: focus mitts, heavy bags, speed bags, double-ended bags, jump rope, core work, calisthenics and circuit weight training. No boxing experience is necessary and people of all ages are invited to participate. There are four different levels of classes offered, depending on the participants level of Parkinson’s and over-all fitness.
- Stuart Blatt PHD, PT : Stuart Blatt, MA. PT, Ph.D, from Howell MI, is a physical therapist with 25 years of clinical experience, treating persons with various neurological injuries. Dr. Blatt received his doctoral degree from Michigan State University in the area of Adult Learning. He is currently self employed as a physical therapist in his own company called Therapists on the Move which is a mobile outpatient clinic serving people with progressive neurological diseases (like Parkinson’s Huntington’s and MS). He is also the CEO and founder of A.S.C.E.N.D (Always Striving to Create Environments which Normalize Disabilities), a not for profit organization designed to promote clinically based research and a greater understanding of the care of people with progressive neurological diseases, through non-traditional programs.
- McEntire Pilates : At McEntire Pilates, we are movement experts and problem solvers. We understand how the body is designed and wired to naturally move. So when our clients come to us wanting help to overcome movement problems and restore their lost abilities, this is when we do our best work.
Talent Show information:
Participants have the opportunity to perform in the talent show! Any form of talent is welcome and encouraged! Indicate on your registration form if you would like to participate and what you would like to showcase. This is a wonderful way to show off your hidden talents! The talent show will also include a special performance by the dancers of Take Root!
PD Expo Registration Fee
This fee covers all PD expo sessions, two raffle tickets and lunch. It also includes a t-shirt if registered by July 21st.